Turkey Burgers With Blueberry Ketchup
1 pound ground turkey
3/4 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced lemongrass (optional)*
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 poppy seed hamburger buns
Lettuce and sliced red onion, optional
Blueberry Ketchup (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, blueberries, ginger, lemongrass and black pepper; mix well.
- Form mixture into 4 patties.
- Brush soy sauce on both sides of burgers.
- In an oiled skillet over medium-high heat, grill patties until cooked thoroughly, about 4 minutes each side.
- Serve on buns with lettuce, sliced red onion and blueberry ketchup.
* Peel away woody outer layer from the bottom portion of the lemongrass stalk; mince inner flesh.
Number of servings (yield): 4
29 grams protein
48 grams carbohydrates
3 grams dietary fiber
11 grams fat
3 grams saturated fat
(Turkey burger with ketchup)
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen (unthawed) blueberries
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pickled ginger (gari) or minced fresh ginger
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine blueberries, onion, vinegar, sugar, ginger and salt.
Bring to a simmer; cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Remove to blender or food processor; whirl until smooth.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
Blueberry and Butternut Squash Couscous Salad
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1-1/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup raw couscous*
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1-1/2 cups blueberries
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 cups baby arugula
Preheat oven to 450 Degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Spread on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until tender, about 22 minutes; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring broth to a boil.
- Stir in couscous, remove from heat and cover; let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork; cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine squash, scallions, blueberries, cheese and couscous.
- Spread arugula on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the dressing.
- Add remaining dressing to couscous mixture; toss to combine.
- Serve over arugula.
Number of servings (yield): 6
*Note: You can substitute any grain in place of the couscous, such as quinoa, farro, barley, wheatberries, rice, etc. Simply prepare your grain of choice according to the instructions on the back of the packaging. Follow the rest of the recipe as is.
1 cup large fresh blueberries
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons multi-color candy sprinkles
- On each of 10 bamboo skewers (8 inches long), spear 8 blueberries.
- In a perfectly dry microwavable cup, stir chocolate chips and oil.
- Microwave on medium power 30 seconds; stir. Microwave 20-30 seconds longer; stir until the chocolate is smooth.
- Transfer melted chocolate to a resealable plastic bag.
- Snip a very small corner off the bottom of the bag.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the skewered blueberries and immediately roll lightly in sprinkles.
Number of servings (yield): 10 skewers
Serving Suggestion: Make Rice Krispie Treats and mold into a decorative glass or bucket. Once set, insert skewers for a decorative, edible center piece.
Per portion: 136 calories; 18 g carbohydrate; 7 g total fat; 6 g saturated fat; .4 g fiber