Summertime Food Recipes
Time to celebrate some classic summer foods with delicious recipes. August is the biggest vacation month, but it is also:
National Catfish Month
National Peach Month
National Sandwich Month
2 (7 to 8-ounce) catfish fillets
4 ounces butter
4 ounces dry white wine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Season fish with salt and pepper.
- Place fish in oval casserole dish.
- Melt 4 ounces butter in small sauce pan.
- Add wine and remaining ingredients, except the paprika. Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon over fish. Now sprinkle paprika over fish.
- Bake fish in 375 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the fish is done.
1 lb. tomatoes, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs. peaches, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste.
- Chop tomatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
- Finely chop seeded bell pepper and jalapenos. Finely chop onion and put all veggies in a bowl.
- Dice peaches with the skin and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Fold until well-combined. Serve with tortilla chips.
1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbled
12 slices white or whole wheat bread, toasted
2 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and sliced thin
1 avocado, ripened, pitted, peeled, and sliced thin
8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and drained
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and thinly sliced
- Place tomato slices on several layers of paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 15 minutes, then press with additional paper towels to extract excess moisture.
- Using fork, mash 1/3 cup mayonnaise and blue cheese together in small bowl until smooth.
- Spread blue cheese mixture on 8 slices toast.
- Spread 3 tablespoons mayonnaise on remaining 4 slices toast.
- Place 4 cheese-coated toasts on work surface.
- Layer each with sliced tomato, egg, and avocado.
- Place plain mayonnaise-coated toasts, mayonnaise side down, over avocado; spread tops of toast with remaining mayonnaise.
- Continue layering with 2 strips bacon and sliced chicken. Top with remaining blue cheese-coated toasts, facing down.
- Cut each sandwich into triangles. Serve.