Need a recipe for a non-meat dish to rotate into your nutritious household menu? Try this spicy version of a vegetable stew. The flavors and spices are balanced perfectly when all vegetables listed in the recipe are used. Adjust the spices to your taste. This is a diabetic friendly recipe!
Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. Yield: 8 Servings
1) large onion, chopped
1) tablespoon olive oil
2) teaspoons ground cinnamon
2) teaspoons ground cumin
1) teaspoon ground coriander
1/2) teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2) teaspoon ground allspice
1/4) teaspoon salt
3) cups water
1) small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2) medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
4) medium carrots, sliced
3) plum tomatoes, chopped
2) small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
1) can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add spices and salt; cook 1 minute longer.
2. Stir in the water, squash, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
4. Add zucchini and chickpeas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 172 calories
3 g fat (trace saturated fat)
174 mg sodium
34 g carbohydrate
8 g fiber
5 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Recipe Provided by Taste of Home